Mardi Gras also known as Fat Tuesday, is here!!
Born from a catching a glimpse of the face mask in Dollar Tree, I never expected THIS senior session to be as awesome as it was.
I had the privilege of working with very talented make up artists, a highly intellectual graduate and two high school seniors. The more and more time I spent with each them, the more and more amazed I was. With some receiving acceptance letters from dream colleges and others taking the time to apply knowledge to real life with a gap year, the wisdom that poured from these seniors was nothing but amazing.
I had the honor of photographing Daelyn, Naomi and Vanessa…. Here they are.
5 Things I Didnt Know About Mardi Gras
- Did you know that Mardi Gras actually means French for “Fat Tuesday.” It is French! I speak fluent french, but the way it is pronouced by non-french speaks, didnt have me it register that it was a direct translation. It marks the last day of “Carnival” season – which is characterized by tons of parties, decadence, and feasting – which is pretty much where we get the “fat” from.
- Mardi Gras is not only celebrated in Louisiana. International names for Mardi Gras include: Martes de Carnaval in Mexico, Fastan in Sweden, Martedi Grasso in Italy, J’Ouvert in Trinidad, and Karneval in Germany.
- Mobile, Alabama was the first American City to host a parade of the event. The LeMoyne Brothers who defended France’s claim of Louisiana in 1699, brought the holiday along with them. As a result, Louisiana is where the event began in North America.
- Apparently, not wearing a mask whilst on a parade float. Is a big NO NO! Its actually. This was a law put in place to break down the social barriers and allow everyone participating to associate with whomever they want.
- This one, I am sure you already know… but here goes…“Laissez les bon temps rouler” is the greeting of Mardi Gras. You will here it continually. Translated, it means “let the good times roll”. Considering the event… it fits like a glove!
Let these seniors show you how to experience Mardi Gras in 2018!!
LAISSER LE BON TEMPS ROULER
Would you like to make your High School milestone an experience? Let’s connect so I can tell you more about what your High School Portrait Experience with JLISeniors could be.
Connect with me, Josselyne. I believe that there is story behind every smile and a purpose for every picture.